In July 2011, Pikes Peak Hospice & Palliative Care transitioned inpatient care to the Pikes Peak Hospice Unit at Penrose Hospital. This unit occupies the entire 6th floor of the West Tower at Penrose Hospital, 2222 North Nevada Avenue. The Pikes Peak Hospice Unit at Penrose Hospital is licensed and operated by by Pikes Peak Hospice & Palliative Care, independent of Penrose-St. Francis Health Services. Please scroll down to view photos of our unit.
Pikes Peak Hospice is the only area hospice provider with its own inpatient care unit equipped to manage more serious care needs. The unit is a specialized setting that provides short term care management for patients who need hospice "General Inpatient" care. This level of care is appropriate when a patient's symptoms are unmanaged and require more aggressive treatment interventions.
Typically, only those with the most complex cases opt for hospice inpatient care. Our Inpatient Unit Guidelines offer additional information. Many patients receive inpatient care until they are stabilized, and then return home.
Offering 16 private patient rooms, the unit is designed and equipped to manage the most complex care needs. The design addresses both functional needs and aesthetics. Furniture and accessories were specifically selected to augment patient safety and convenience. Elements of nature were incorporated to ensure a peaceful environment.
- All patient rooms and common areas have cable TV. Wi-Fi is available throughout the unit with complimentary internet access.
- "Room Service" is available providing patients with more autonomy and control of when and what they eat.
- Our children's area issuitable for quiet activities for children who are visiting patients. Children must be supervised by parents/guardians.
- An aviary, tended by volunteers, adds to the peaceful environment.
- A number of Integrative Therapies are offered, including:
- - Aromatherapy
- - "Soothing Sounds" volunteers offer the gift of live music in common areas and patient rooms.
- - Licensed professionals and trained volunteers provide massage and a number of other touch therapies for our patients.
- - Animal Companion volunteers offer patients and families a visit with an furry friend.